Friday, January 4, 2008

My 2007 In Photographs, Of Photographs

These 12 images best describe the kind of photography I'm interested in. I call them "environmentals" because usually these are photos of people in their environment - usually the normal things that happen everyday - that with a simple isolation, dramatic lighting, playing with shapes, tilt of the camera, bending of the knees, shooting from God's perpective, and/or patience for that right moment, they gain art-like form and tell a story which may really be happening or not. Of course they are inspired by one of my great influences, Gianni Berengo Gardin, whose works are in the same league as those of his French counterpart, the great Henri Cartier-Bresson. I visit Shibuya a lot to read books about them in Tower Records but I'm not into copying their works, I just try to extract from the images the forms that they used and most especially their motivation of making their pictures and how they saw them. This principle, making the shot before you even click the shutter is, I think, the most essential part of photography. And for this genre, you have to see quickly. The use of the camera, whether you are using the latest bad ass DSLR or a "masochistic" mechanical film one, is merely technical that once mastered, it will be how you saw the shot with capabilities of your camera that matters. A very big part of capturing everyday scenes depends on luck or that intuition to click the shutter at the right moment. It is this luck that makes creating these pictures very exciting, it's this luck that makes them 'destiny' for the photographer immortalize that exact moment. On that note, these are the 12 photographs in 2007 that was destined for me to make (taken away by words again...these shots are really not that great but I enjoyed making them, haha):

12. "Luglog", Rinkoh Park, Minato Mirai, Yokohama, Japan
Nikon D80 18-200mm
PP: toned, saturated, sharpened

The freezing of the water and the playful feet of this child makes this one of my best this year. The cold-warm mix of colors was also applied with a little help of saturation. The long zoom better isolated the kid's feet and the playful water. This was taken as I was just resting in one of the park's benches as this kid played on the water.

11. "Strength", Hundred Islands, Alaminos, Pangasinan, Philippines
Sony DSC-T10
PP: toned, saturated, sharpened, vignette


I forgot to recharge my batteries and so I borrowed my cousin's point and shoot. This is sort of one of those cases that the harsh mid-day sunlight helps aesthetically. I had to dash into the dock to get this top shot and capture the labor of this kid with the shimmering waters caused by the harsh sunlight.

10. "In Solemn Prayer", Mt. Takao, Tokyo, Japan
Nikon D80 18-200 mm
PP: toned, sharpened



The right moment was waiting for the prettiest girl to bow and pray...hehehe.
I used basic foreground and background bokeh here by zooming at 200 mm. The foreground framing bokeh is caused by the hanging good luck charms. I had to bend down to get this.


9. "Loving Fall", Mt. Takao, Tokyo, Japan
Nikon D80 18-200 mm
PP: toned



One of those shots (the previous one also) as I was "power tripping" with my long zoom. Actually, it is not 'Gardin' to use long zooms because back then he only used fast 35 mm Leicas. I still like this for its 'candidness' and the irony between the sheer fun of this kid as leaves are starting to fall and wither to welcome the winter.

8. "Funtain", UST Campus, Manila, Philippines
Nikon D80 50mm f1.8
PP: warmed


The frozen and shimmering water blending with the candid laughs of these kids make this photo. They had just graduated from college. The fast f1.8 and the flash has a lot to do with the freezing.

7. "The Manly Way", In transit, Espana Ave, Manila, Philippines
Canon Powershot A620
PP: toned



Still part of the on-going 'Viajero' series, I tried to capture the impression of this man hanging on the jeepney's, a local Philippine transportation, 'estribo.' The highlights that trace the man's hanging figure makes it. I remember I just visited Hidalgo canvassing for a D80 when I shot this one.

6. "Electric Fans", Marikina Sports Complex, Marikina City, Philippines
Nikon D80 18-55mm
PP: toned


This is one of those better-composed photos I had. I like how the fan and the electric fan were isolated despite the crowd. The idea was to use the industrial fan as a composition element. I played with words and had in mind that these are actually GMA network star fans. A fan and a fan...I just waited for the right moment for this young fan to look back. The smile, which makes him 'electric' somehow, was just a bonus.

5. "Not so Posh", Kagurazaka, Tokyo, Japan
Nikon D80 18-200 mm
PP: toned

I like this shot because I captured the essence of Kagurazaka as I see it - a relatively older and downmarket area in Tokyo. I remember that Gardin once said that zoom lenses are too isolating of the subject. This shot is an example that zooms do not always isolate. When shooting a long and narrow walkway like this, zooms compress it into an illusion that it is short and hence showing all the details of the path...the stoned walkway, the hanging wires, the roof's gutters, the fence, the street light etc. The person scales the size of the pathway and is included to puzzle the viewer that he's the subject when in fact it is the 'framing' environment.

4. "The Leader of the Pack", Shibuya Crossing, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan
Nikon D80, 18-200mm
PP: BW, toned


This is again another application of compressing perspective with a long zoom. This costed me a drink at Starbucks just to have front row seats of this perspective of one of the world's busiest crossings. The crazily stacked umbrellas and the pedestrian lines made the environment element. Why "Leader of the Pack"? I was actually referring to the lady in the front most. I placed her in one of the "rule of third" points. She's also the only one who has stepped out of the yellow warning line and she seems to be the only one paying attention to the traffic lights. one viewer suggested to selectively color her umbrella but I did not do so simply because, as far as I can see, I have already applied enough isolation components.

3. "Not Even the Rain", Meiji Temple walkway, Harajuku, Tokyo, Japan
Nikon D80 18-200 mm
PP: BW



Perhaps the least hidden secret in photography is capturing light. This one is just light play and the display of persistence to make a photograph even under the rain. I just waited for someone to do something interesting under this beautiful light. Luckily, this person showed up with his umbrella, he was also photographing the scene. One great thing about this shot is that I could have been this person had someone shot me from the back.

2. "Rainbow Bridge, Lovers'Perspective", Odaiba, Tokyo, Japan
Nikon D80 18-200 mm
PP: toned



This is one of those efforts to capture something that is already often photographed. Of course I also shoot those 'tourist' shots (I'm never good at it), but I tried including elements to make this more dramatic and maybe romantic. Rules in books wouldn't consider this a good photograph because it doesn't tell right away what the subject is. Well, that's my point exactly here. Am I shooting the bridge, the trees or the lovers? I was shooting all of them.:)

1. "Monk and the City", Ginza, Tokyo, Japan
Nikon D80 18-200 mm
PP: toned



This is my personal best for 2007. Ironically, this monk, usually seen in old temples in Japan, is in Ginza...one of Tokyo's upmarket districts where vices of vanity (500,000 yen suit anyone?) and night life are much prevalent. I shot this from 4-5 feet and tiptoed to hide the monk's face. I used 18 mm to show the buildings of Ginza as the environment and to create an exaggerated vanishing point which the monk covers. The center composition couldn't have been more effective without the symmetry caused by the vanishing point. Hopefully I have shown the irony and the enigma of this scene by using my camera effectively. This shot was a milestone for me because I think I was starting to be one with my camera and my lens - that controlling the settings isn't that much of a hindrance anymore. Also notice that it's unique from the eleven others I have chosen because it was shot at the wide end of my lens.

As a recollection of my 2007, I'd just like to mention my firsts this year and other notable photos:

Smiling Omiyage, Mt. Takao, Tokyo, Japan
Nikon D80 18-200 mm
PP: toned


This is my favorite macro shot for 2007 if this qualifies as one. Notice that I selectively focused (NOT in picassa or photoshop) on the figure with the most notable smiling face and then the wrapped them up in this slanting pattern. Maybe one tip I can give, although macro isn't really an interest of mine, is that even when you are doing a macro, composition principles still apply. It's not like you can just macro on everything without observing and thinking on how you can present the subject first. (And, this doesn't have a "great depth of field " (DOF) as many would comment. "Great bokeh (or blur)" is the appropiate term for it. "Great DOF" is when everything is sharp from the foreground to the background.)

The Last of the Momijis, Mt. Takao, Tokyo, Japan
Nikon D80 18-200 mm
PP: toned


Climbing Mt. Takao was my very first autumn foliage shoot. This one's I consider the best although I just realized that after rotating it 180 degrees. I just love the red-black combination and gradation.

Under the Narra Shower, UP Diliman, QC, Philippines
Nikon D80 18-200 mm
PP: toned


I also attempted a pre-nup shot of my sister and his husband last summer. This is my favorite of that series because the golden shower was my concept.

Signs Galore, Ginza, Tokyo, Japan
Nikon D80 18-200 mm
PP: toned

Buying my DSLR and a lens with vibration reduction (VR) had enabled me to photowalk along the streets of Japan without having to worry about setting up a tripod. This is my favorite of those tripod-less night shots.

The Failure in Blue, Minato Mirai, Yokohama City, Japan
Nikon D80 18-200 mm
PP: toned


It's cartoony but I still love this. The exaggerated blue was caused by setting my WB to tungsten. Contrary to the photo before, this was a long exposure so a tripod was necessary.

I'm the King of the World, Mt. Fuji, Japan
Nikon D80 18-55mm
PP: toned


This was perhaps the most dangerous shot I have taken so far. I actually had to balance myself an rocks off-path to get this angle as the slopes of Mt. Fuji this time was already so crowded.

The Bird Portrait, Ueno Zoo, Tokyo, Japan
Nikon 18-200 mm
PP: toned



This was actually my very first time to visit a zoo and shoot animals like crazy. This is my favorite bird shot. It's pretty noisy because these birds are too naughty to shoot...they move all the time. The lighting is great because someone in the zoo knows about exhibition lighting. This was shot through glass but it looks clean. All I really did here was to exploit my cameras fast response, the subject and the lighting were already taken care of.

Gutom Man ay Marikit Pa Rin, Bahay Marikit, San Juan, Batangas
Nikon D80 50mm f1.8
PP: toned

My favorite portrait for this year is of course that of my bebs! The reflected mid-day sunlight was topnotch and so I couldn't resist to shoot bebs with my likewise favorite 50 mm. She just turned 25.:-*


2 comments:

TwistedHalo said...

payat pa ako dito!

bishop said...

Galing ng mga kuha mo!