Wednesday, January 16, 2008

[At the Okudas] Okasan


[At the Okudas] Okasan
Originally uploaded by akumach
t's always a joy visiting my colleague Jesse's friend, Mrs Okuda. She prepares a feast every time we pay visit and I always enjoy the stories she has to tell. It was only from her that I became aware of the reality of the "baby boomer" problem in Japan. She complained that the pensions they used to pay when they were younger are being taxed and they couldn't do anything. She pays almost four times the tax that I pay here despite her age. Of course she tells lots of stories about her kids, all mothers do I think.

Coincidentally, I had my grandma tell me stories about her life during World War 2. Mrs. Okuda finely detailed what was it like on the other side of the war back then too. She remembers so well the 500+ airplanes that hid even the sunlight as the US air force napalmed Tokyo and Yokohama. She lost a couple of friends during that time. Perhaps it was only in the anime "Graveyard of the Fireflies" that I saw it but Mrs. Okuda vividly described that during the bombings burned cadavers were everywhere. She recalls that she even rode the Yokosuka line with dead bodies inside. That's horrifying for a twelve year old.

Hmmm....I've been dwelling on the tragic part of her stories. Anyway, she thinks I'm only 23 years old. That's something to be happy about because I'll be turning 26 this year...;;)

2 comments:

TwistedHalo said...

"Anyway, she thinks I'm only 23 years old. That's something to be happy about because I'll be turning 26 this year...;;)"

You wish! Then I'm 25. :*

Kodak Picturezzz said...

Hanep sa pictures!