Thursday, October 4, 2007

Train Blunders


More than two months now in Japan but it was only tonight that I had my fist AND second blunders in riding the very complex Japanese train system. I normally ride the Tokaido Line from Shimbashi to Kawasaki because it's so much faster than the Keihin Tohoku (7 stops vs. 2 stops). Tokaido is the (Rapid Express or Toukyu, that train whixh skips 'minor' stations) in the Tokyo area of the two lines. What I didn't realize is that there is such a thing as a 'commuter express'. The train made a stop in Shinagawa as a Toukyu would normally do but then when I heard the driver the next stop was already Ofuna!!! The damn train skipped the cities of Kawasaki and Yokohama!!! When I arrived in Ofuna, I immediately transferred to the Tokaido train in the adjacent track thinking that it will go to the opposite direction but then the train turned out to be a local train to the direction of the one I just rode on! I ended up in Fujisawa then caught a train back to Kawasaki there. I traveled a total of 80 kilometers or more than an hour inside the train! Just imagine going to and from Calamba, Laguna in one night. It's good the Tokaido line is fast though. Man I like it when it sings for speed!

1 comment:

JC said...

It happened to me too once.